Colombo the capital of Sri Lanka, is a port city with a tapestried colonial heritage. Colombo is a melting pot of the many cultures of the island. Colombo city has a unique ambience, with beautiful ocean-view hotels, colonial style accommodation, shopping malls, cinema’s and theatres, beauty salons and spas, and fine dining restaurants that serve the best of Sri Lankan and international cuisine. In spite of its small size (just 37 square kilometres) Colombo offers a wide range of experiences and things to do for the avid traveller;
- Enjoy delicious Sri Lanka cuisine at The Palmyrah Restaurant in Colombo 3.
For over 45 years the Palmyrah has been a favourite destination for patrons seeking authentic Sri Lankan flavours. The restaurant combines refined gastronomy and a world-class culinary service to deliver a sophisticated dining experience. Our signature dishes comprise traditional Jaffna fare, including perennial favourites such as mutton paal poriyal, fried fish pittu, Jaffna whole crab curry, odiyal kool (seafood soup) and milk hoppers.
- Visit a Buddhist temple – the Gangarama Vihara is one of the most respected temples in the city. The temple is decorated with brilliant brass work, stone carvings and statues, a small museum, and place for meditation and learning, and other Buddhist art. The part of the temple that extends into Beira Lake is a favourite with visitors.
- Enjoy a city tour; take a tuk tuk ride around Colombo and witness its splendour and charm or an open deck double decker ride with Colombo City tour, which you can embark on right from the doorstep of Renuka City Hotel.
- Indulge in a nice Ayurvedic foot, hand, scalp or full body massage; talk to one of our staff members for recommendations.
- Art and history for a day – visit The Colombo National Museum where you can observe ancient colonial paintings, sketches and sculptures going back to the 4th century BC, or you can visit to a local art gallery to view our contemporary art.
- An evening walk at Galle Face Green – a 12 acre ocean-front urban park and promenade, which stretches for 500m along the coast, the largest open space in the heart of the city of Colombo. It is popular during kite season, and also famous for hosting the ‘World’s tallest artificial Christmas tree’ in December 2016.
- Shopping – one of Sri Lanka’s best kept secrets is the shopping opportunities in Colombo – From International designer wear to local fashion, shoes, bags, salons and so much more. Whatever you can desire is available in our Colombo shopping malls; Crescat Boulevard, Liberty Plaza, Odel, the Racecourse Shopping promenade, Majestic city are among many options for the shopaholic.
- Nightlife in Colombo – Colombo has plenty of sports pubs and bars, night clubs, casinos, and karaoke lounges suitable for young and old.